You laugh, you cry, you are perplexed, surprised, unhappy, happy—all of these reactions are a part of normal, everyday life and each of them shows on your face. Over time, the repeated stretching and pulling of the skin caused by the use of our facial muscles can create wrinkles and fine lines. At Advanced Liposuction Center Botox treatments are one option that we offer to clients who are not ready for a surgical facelift or other more invasive procedure but want to see a reduction in wrinkles and lines on their faces.
Botox works by temporarily relaxing the muscles into which it is injected. This causes the wrinkles to disappear. Areas most commonly enhanced by Botox include:
- “Bunny lines” in the nose area, under and on the outer part of the nostrils
- Forehead and brow furrows and frown lines
- Upper lip and the area right above it
- Sides of the eyes (crow’s feet)
- Pore size reduction
- Jaw (to reduced the width)
- Soften the vertical muscle bands in the neck
You can expect smoother appearance of your skin to be noticeable within two weeks of treatment and improvements may continue for another two weeks. You will still be able to look surprised, frown and make all other facial expressions in a way that will appear very natural. Although each person is unique, the results of a Botox treatment typically last 3 or 4 months.
Who is Not a Good Candidate for Botox?
Our physicians will take a complete medical history and examine your face. (Not all facial lines and wrinkles are caused by muscle contractions and therefore will not respond to Botox.) In fact, we offer free consultations where you can meet with one of our expert cosmetic surgeons to determine which treatment best suits your needs. There are some contraindications for Botox that may alter or prevent you from being a good candidate for this treatment. These include:
- If you are currently taking certain antibiotics such as Tobramycin, Gentamicin, Amikanci or others that have aminoglycoside
- Certain neurological/muscular conditions such as Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS), Myasthenia, sclerosis, Gravis or LambertEaton syndrome
- You are allergic to cow’s milk
- You are pregnant or attempting to become pregnant or are nursing
- Breathing or swallowing problem such as emphysema or asthma
- Bleeding conditions such as Hemophilia or are taking blood-thinners
- Negative or allergic reactions to Botox or similar products in the past
In addition, if you have recently had or plan to have facial surgery in the future, you should discuss this with the doctor. To learn more, contact of our Pittsburgh area offices by calling: 724-683-7581.